Television ad buyers and viewers alike have been contemplating what the fall 2020 TV lineup will look like. With the uncertain future of sports and the lack of new content production halted by coronavirus closures, the likelihood of a “normal” fall season is grim.
So, what might the fall look like?
- Many networks will add the “safe” programming, like animated shows and licensed programming.
- Network staples will be removed/delayed for the first time in decades (think The Bachelor and Survivor).
- Some networks may proactively delay shows until 2021 versus playing the waiting game.
- Many networks rely heavily on fall sports, namely the NFL (which still remains uncertain of its 2020 season).
- If sports do return, pay TV could make up for initial losses as fans have been sorely missing this programming for months.