While total retail growth should decline, e-commerce is predicted to grow in 2020.
As the reality of quarantines hit small brick and mortar businesses across the country, the U.S. realized a steep decline of retail growth due to pandemic protocols. eMarketer predicts growth as follows:
- 5% decline in total U.S. retail
- 14% decline in brick and mortar retail
- 18% increase in e-commerce retail
The full U.S. e-commerce 2020 report from eMarketer details predictions and trends that have been impacted by COVID-19. Key highlights are below, and the full report is available to subscribers at the link.
- E-commerce growth is impacted by number of buyers as well as their average spending.
- Trusted retailers will see higher growth than average.
- E-commerce is largely driven by click to collect and curbside pickup.
- Click to collect specifically is anticipated to grow toward $58B.